Tuesday, March 12, 2019

August 31st, 1989 (Part XI)

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Sunday we had breakfast at the hotel, then went to Versailles.  Dan, Marie, Di, I went through together occasionally seeing "Mr. Video" Nick.  V. was really pretty, but we never made it to the gardens back behind.  The Hall of Mirrors was really neat.



Heidi, our tour guide









After Versailles we went to the Louvre.  Dan, Marie, Di & I went around together again.  We saw the Mona Lisa (small, dark, and disappointing).  We then saw the Venus de Milo, the Sphinx, and went to see the castle foundation found recently under the Louvre.  The castle foundation was really neat.

After seeing the art, we went to the gift shop and bought lots of neat postcards, then went out to some tourist shops and bought sweatshirts, etc.  The pyramids at the Louvre turned out to be really cool.

Dan and Marie, our Canadian friends!




After the Louvre, we went to Sacre Coeur. On the way up, I bought a sandwich, and got a pigeon to land on my hand to eat some of it.  Dan tried, but those Canadians just don't have the touch!





The church was beautiful.  The stained glass was neat too!

After Sacre Coeur, we went to Painters Square.  It was really expensive!  Dan, Marie, Phoebe, Di & I walked around.  There were lots of neat stuff, but it was really expensive.  They settled for prints, and I didn't buy anything.


After Painter's Square it started raining just as we got back to the bus.  We went through the red light/sex shop district.  Then we went back to the hotel.

Di & I went out to the plaza again and sat and watched people for awhile.  That was really neat!

We went back and got ready for dinner.  This time we went to a different place. Di, Dan, Marie & I sat together.  I had French onion soup, coc au vin, and chocolate mousse.

After dinner most of the group was dropped off at the Moulin Rouge (the red light dist. after dark was awesome!).  The remaining 7 of us went back to the hotel. Di, Dan, Marie, the guy who sat behind us on the bus, and I walked to the Arch de Defense and had a really good time looking at the modern art and walking around at the base of the arch.

We got back to the hotel at 2 A.M. then went to bed.

No comments: