Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Friday, March 23rd, 1990

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

The farewell bbq was fun.  There were a lot of people there.  Mike brought his video camera and I was behind it for most of the day.  Akira & Hiroko left early and took the futon to Kyoto with them (they went to a wedding), so we rode to my place (Kimberly & I) & loaded it then walked back to the party with me taping the walk back.  It was fun.

That night Mitsuko went to a wake, then stayed over.  The next morning we got up & around, and went to Rokko to get ready for the bbq (choir).  Everyone came at about 1:00-ish.  I made bbq sauce with okonomiyaki sauce and catsup & everyone like it a lot.  Nicki & I had a chance to talk while we were battling the smoky grill.   She's such a doll!








I met Chiyomi and Mayumi at the eki at 6:30.  They gave me a briefcase.  I was really surprised.

The concert went very well.  I turned it over to God, and He took care of everything.  I used comedy, seriousness, and music, and had a really good time.  Lots of people were praying for me, and I could tell.

Kimberly started crying during the 3rd song, so I knew it was going to be a hard show, but using comedy helped lighten the mood a bit.  I was fine until the last song, "Friends", and I made it through, but started tearing during the last chorus.  My last phrase was really shaky, and my speech (thank you), afterwards choked, but overall, it was a great time.  I enjoyed doing a concert for the 1st time, really.  I know it's because God was in control.  It was great.












Carol W. said some really neat things to me after the show about a good blend of comedy, seriousness, and music, and things like anywhere I go & whatever I do will be exciting and that great things would happen.  It was really nice of her to say.

After church, and a teary farewell from Chiyomi & Mayumi, and saying see you later to Akira & Hiroko, I waited around & rode to singles with the B's.  Kimberly & I had to say a few things about our lives & time in Japan.

After singles we had fellowship, and they made a cake for K & I.













After that Mitsuko & I came back to Himeji.  we got home at 1 a.m.

Monday Mitsuko got up & left early (for the funeral).  I met Daniel & Sheila at Himeji eki at 12.  We got on the train & went to Suma.  We met Mitsuko at the station & walked along the beach (through the "demiliterized zone"- old cars, nets, & war looking trash) to the Suma Aquarium.  We ate at a soba shop before the aquarium.

The aquarium was gorgeous!  The best part was a wall with a big window in it.  There were lots of different kinds of fish.  We also saw the sea otter show, fish feeding, and dolphin show.  The aquarium was a really neat place.

After the aquarium, we went to Sannomiya, then ate at Gaylord's.

Tuesday I went to Hinomoto and gave the 1st year retest.  There were 2 students.  One passed, but the other only got a total of 16 pts. out of 100.  I couldn't believe it.  She'd had most of the questions on the 1st test, but still didn't pass!  I had to grade them and give final grades, even though neither of them was my student.  The office made me miss my train home by calling each of the teachers & asking them questions regarding the two students.  John wanted me to give his student's final grade, but I said I only could judge by her final exam score, so couldn't.

I walked slowly back to the station (I had 40 minutes before my next train), then got on a two car train that was absolutely jam packed.  Needless to say, I was not happy.

I met Mike at my apartment at 12:15 and we took my cubic meter of stuff to Kobe to the shipping company.  We got stuck in traffic on the way, which added a little more frustration, but once we got to Kobe things went a lot easier than anticipated.  We met Kimberly & Mitsuko, took care of paperwork, went to the warehouse, then went to Central Station for a great lunch.  K & M left, & Mike & I shopped for a little while.

Then we went back to Himeji, loaded up the rest of my stuff to go to Mike's house.  Mike went on and I stayed at the apartment and gave it a final cleaning.

I walked to M's to drop off some stuff, gave some mail and a key to Paul, then went to B's where I've been since.

Wednesday I stayed at B's all day.  Resa & I redecorated the living room.  She changed it from mauve & blue to Mauve & country green, so most of the day I repainted blue wooden things green, hung curtains, & set up little groupings of things.  I also packed up 3 more boxes to ship home.  In the evening we watched videos.

Thursday I shopped, mailed boxes, pd. bills, got a haircut, and then M's & I went to Royal Host for lunch.  After lunch I walked to American Dream, then went to the park behind the castle & sat by the moat & on the moat wall & relaxed.  On the other side of the moat was a solitary cherry blossom tree in full bloom.  It was gorgeous.

At 5:30 I met Tomoko, Tomomi, Michiyo, Kanako, and Yukako.  We saw "Dead Poet's Society" (excellent!), then went to a snack shop.

Then I went back to B's.

Friday I got up & around & met Mika at 31.  We had lunch & shopped a little, then went to Hinomoto.  I had a faculty meeting, then they had a farewell party for Soma (in the office), Mike M., and I.  It was nice, & I felt a little sincerity from the group as a whole, until it was over and most of them just got up & left without saying anything to anyone.  I guess it was just another required meeting!  Haruko, M., Nobu, Machiko & Sakai, Koji, M., and Matsuo-san said goodbye, though.  I guess those are the only people I really wanted to say goodbye to anyway.

After the farewell meeting, Nobu dropped me off by my old apartment.  Then I took a bus downtown, then another bus to the B's.

The Lord blessed me that day because the 70,000 yen I thought I would be getting as my retirement money ended up being 230,000 yen, and I got some unpublished material from Word Records to look over for use in a project (demo tape).  They typed my name on the tape & wrote a contact name for me, and it was very encouraging.  If it's God's will I hope it works out!

No comments: